Re: (erielack) An EL Geep, was: DL&W 959

Walt,
Haven't found the book that I want, but here's an excerpt from the
General Motors /On-the-Road Trouble-Shooting/, for the GP7:
"_Cylinder Test Valves_  Each cylinder is equipped with a test valve for
the purpose of testing for fuel or water accumulation in the cylinders
prior to starting an engine that has been shut down for a considerable
period of time.
To make this test, remove the 400-ampere starting fues, open all
cylinder valves approximately 3 full turns, and use engine jacking tool
to rotate the engine one complete revolution.  If liquid is discharged
from any cylinder, investigate; if not, close cylinder test valves,
replace 400-ampere starting fuse, and start engine in the usual manner."

Our practice was to open all test valves 3 turns, bump the Start button
3 or 4 times, and watch for any liquid--with a 2-man engine crew, one
watched each side.  If no discharge, we closed the valves and fired it
up.  If discharge, we bumped the start button a few more times and hoped
that the discharge would diminish.

Then we worked on unclogging the sanders.

Ken