RE: (erielack) DL&W 959

> I noticed that this unit was modified by Conrail and now is
> call a "GP8".  What did Conrail do to it?  How does it now
> differ from a GP7?  Do these changes matter in any attempt to
> "preserve" this engine or is it now something completely different?
>
> Ken

The changes in rebuilding from a GP7 to a GP8 are all primarily internal, mostly around upgrading the prime mover from a 567B to a 567BC. It retains its 1500 horsepower.

The only noticeably external change was the plating over of the dynamic brake blister when the DBs were removed as part of the rebuilding. If push comes to shove, you could probably get a replacement DB blister as a spare part from a scrapped unit if you want to correctly replicate the exterior.