Re:Re:Re: (erielack) RAILROAD MAGAZINE HAYWIRE MAC

Bedwell and McKlintock were but two of the more prolific writers, Bedwell mostly in fiction but McKlintock in fact and, as "Haywire Mac", in fiction.  They and others performed for us, in the 1930s and '40s, the same function that Art Erdman and Walter Smith do today (list content?).

Working from their experiences in the late 19th and early 20th centuries as real railroaders, they crafted accounts which took their readers into the world of real, nitty-gritty railroading -- dozens of times.  They are still good reading, if you can find them, and you can find them if you try.

They are gone now; all we have left is their stories.  The same is not true of many Erie, Lackawanna and, especially, EL veterans.  Please make an effort, when y'all meet one, to get him to talk (usually not a problem) and record what he says (usually not easy).  Video it or tape it or shorthand it or longhand it -- but get it!  If you can get him to write it, so much the better.

Randy Brown

Don't think my point or the original posters was to re-write history,  for I'm still digging up facts on both of these two interesting  people,  but thanks for the correction(s), I did note that they were  two distinct people ,but I was totally off on the Haywire Mac  references. McClintock did have one story published in Railroad  magazine in 1957. I was also surprised to see that he  also wrote  "Hallelujah I'm a bum" and appeared as a extra in  Gene Autry movies  and had a radio show. He was certainly an interesting character!

Regards:

Rich Onorevole