(erielack) High Line

Talk about hiking the roadbeds. If you have the chance to get to Manhattan,
our NYC Parks & Recreation last year brought a part of the "High Line" back
to life.

The "High Line" was an elevated line used by the New York Central to serve
factories and warehouses on the west side of Manhattan below West 34 Street
through Greenwich Village and into lower Manhattan.

Part of it is now an urban, elevated park that is open from around West 20
St., south to West 14 St. Our agency kept a lot of the rails and help
"railroad weeds" (now taken care of), as well as wildflowers to grow, just as they
did and do along all railroads.

The High Line is an urban hike and it is rails to trails. The only
difference with this roadbed is that it's elevated.

You can also go up to West 28 St. (not along the High Line yet) and you'll
find at least two buildings that were a part of the Erie's West 28 St. Yard.
You'll know them if you've seen photos posted on the EL list that show what
was. They do exist even though the entire area looks very different.

Go to _http://www.thehighline.org/_ (http://www.thehighline.org/)  and find
a treasure that our city chose not to tear down. Our goal is to keep things
like the High Line that came before us a part of NYC in the 21st Century.

All the best,

Rick Sedlisky