RE: (erielack) ERIE cars (was: ICC/STB recordations involving EL equipment)

> Very interesting document.
> Regarding the lack of ERIE cars.  I have looked up half a
> dozen cars that I photographed in ERIE paint after 4-76.
> They all appear on the list as EL cars. Were they supposed to
> be repainted and didn't get repainted? One 50' box car I
> photographed in service 1987.

I checked a couple of Erie car photos I have post-CR, and they're all listed
under "EL" on those sheets as well. But come on, we all know the ERIE was
running the show ;)  [tongue FIRMLY in cheek!]  I would assume they just
considered "ERIE" cars were EL.

Did anyone notice the number of L&NE cars still on the roster by CR??? Those
were some long-lived covered hoppers!

> In sorting through my pictures I found the attached ERIE
> 21248 covered hopper photo dated 2-78. Note that it now has
> round hatches and appears to be black lettering on grey. I
> was aware that the ERIE had replaced the hatches on some
> cars, but did not realoize that the ERIE had gone to the
> black lettering on grey paint on any two bay hoppers. Has
> anyone else seen ERIE Black on Grey two bay hoppers?

I've never seen a gray Erie 2-bay coverd hopper, but I think this might be a
weathering illusion: If you look at the hatches, you can see it was carrying
a white powder commodity that appears to have flowed over the sides. The
black areas on the car is the original black carbody paint.

Then why is the lettering black? I've seen this effect on older prototype
cars - the stencil paste used for the lettering has faded severely, but it
still retains a bit of "sheen", to which the white powder won't stick. Since
the white powder is so bright, the contrast between the powder and faded
paste is so large, the lettering appears to be black.

Just my take on it...