From: "ShepRail_@_aol.com" <ShepRail@aol.com>
To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
Sent: Fri, August 13, 2010 12:37:20 PM
Subject: Re: (erielack) Drew Chemical; Tankcars

Boonton "Water" was not handled at Paterson Junction Yard.
Instead, this traffic typically moved head-out on through
freight trains to and from West Boonton. This placement
eventually resulted in a number of structural car failures,
especially after trains were rerouted via Great Notch.

As Walt Smith mentioned recently, tank cars used in this service
were once unloaded into the Hackensack River at West Secaucus
on a stub track aligned with the former DL&W Hackensack River
Bridge. In later years, these tank cars were unloaded at Croxton
Yard into the sewer system, thereby avoiding discharge into the
Rockaway River and, by extension, the reservoir that supplied
Jersey City with drinking water.

Given these consequences and the limited number of tank cars
assigned to protect this service, both DL&W and EL endeavored
to expedite the handling of this traffic.

Bill Sheppard