Re:RE: (erielack) Where models are made (and a Seattle quest

Well, folks --it obviously DOES make sends or cents or dollars, or they wouldn't do it.

The difference lies in the combinations and effects of the weage scale, the living standard, and the cost of living.  Chinese labor will work all week for what we would consider a poor day's pay.  They don't get to drive a $20,000 SUV home to a $300,000 house full of toys, trinkets gadgets, pieces and bits.

All that won't last, of course.  It didn't inJapan or Korea; that's why they're doing it in China.  When their consumer demand drives wage up, it will all shift to the next developing nation on the totem pole -- pron=bably someplace in Southeast Asia or Africa.

Someday we may well look back in nostalgia to the good old days of high Chinese quality.

Randy Brown

Just to add my 3 pence worth (I'm English), we have exactly the same situation here. Everything seems to be made in China. I don't have any issues with quality generally, but like it's been said, how can it be cheaper to have things made the other side of the world and shipped to the US/UK etc than actually made at home?  It doesn't seem to make sense.

Chris