RE: (erielack) HO Tangent DL&W Gons - Rolling Properties

My Tangent gondola finally showed up in the mail and once again they have done a great job.  I got one of the PC ones.  The rolling quality left a bit to be desired, as has been noted.  Personally, I didn't feel any aggravation because after checking the coupler height, I would have needed to add some Kadee washers anyway.  I quickly installed a gray washer on each bolster and it rolls fine now, and has the proper coupler height.

While some will complain about having to fix a $32 "ready-to-run" model, I personally don't think it is worth complaining about.  I always consider "Ready-To-Run" to be a bit of misnomer anyway.  Every supposedly RTR model will have to pass inspection before it gets on the layout and most will get weathered anyway.  I think that most of us can handle turning the model upside down, removing the trucks, installing a few washers, and then putting the trucks back on.  Incidentally, I wonder how many of our model railroading forefathers would roll over in their grave if people complained about having to remove trucks to install a few washers.

As long as Tangent keeps doing their homework and providing detailed models that are SPOT ON in terms of their decoration, they'll do fine.  Even if once in a while we have to install some washers.

Now, to bring this rant back on topic...has anyone been able to furnish David Lehlbach with high quality images of these gons in EL paint?  I sure would like to get a bunch of them.

- -pat moore