From: pat.moore_@_att.net
Subject: (erielack) Mainline passing sidings on the Susquehanna Div. (was:
Local traffic in Endicott and Johnson City

Chuck...

> There was a wesbound passing siding at Campville and an
> eastbound one just east of Owego. Both had PRR type signals
> to tell trains to either take the siding or call the
> despatcher. Both were removed by 1970 but were often used in
> passenger train days.

Were these "middle" passing sidings?

I ask because the Erie had a third track that ran west from Addison NY to a
location known by the locals as "Derby Switch".  I'm assuming the middle
track was the passing siding, because by the time I can remember (about 1970
onward), the middle track west of Addison was gone.  That left behind a
stretch where the eastbound and westbound mains were separated by a fair
distance.  I wondered if that was done anywhere else besides the main
between Corning and Hornell.

- - -pat moore

From: jdent1_@_optonline.net
Subject: Re: (erielack) August calendar photos

The location is Sterlington, just west (north) of Hillburn.  The middle
track is Sterlington siding, where many a Ford autorack was dropped off and
picked up.

Jim Dent
Oakland, NJ