Re: (erielack) Trimming posts [was Erie Train Wreck at Ravenna]

Thanks, Randy.

Walt Smith

________________________________
From: Janet & Randy Brown <jananran_@_mymailstation.com>
To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
Sent: Tue, December 22, 2009 5:59:51 AM
Subject: (erielack) Trimming posts [was Erie Train Wreck at Ravenna]

Walter --

I was waiting for one of the real computer "experts" to step in, but . .

Probably not all sustems are exactly the same, but the idea is that, when you reply, you type your message and then tell the system you want to get rid of much of what went before.

On my 10-year old 'puter, running on Windows M/E, here's how I do it:

I use my mouse to cursor to the REPLY button and left-click.  I type my reply in the box provided.  I mouse-cursor down to the beginning of the part of the previous posting that I want to leave out.  I hold down the left button and drag the cursor down to the end of what I want to leave out.  I press DELETE.  Sometimes that does it; sometimes not (why?  I don't know), so I cursor to the CUT button and press that.  One or the other: POOF! Gone.  Then -- and only then -- I press SEND.

The shorter message transmits a little faster but, more importantly, the longer previous story doesn't fill up every mailbox on the list or the archives -- or even MY mailbox.

I hope this helps.  It seems to be a mystery whose solution is unknown to the vast majority of list subscribers, here and elsewhere.

Good luck -- and thanks for all the anecdotal color you add to our ongoing studies of our favorite railroads.

Randy Brown

[previous content deleted as above]

No, Randy, I DON'T know. I was told at one time, but unless my granddaughter is here, I'm stuck. If someone will please post it again, I'll print it out & hang it on my monitor until it sinks into my aged brain. SERIOUS..... I've been meaning to do this.

Walt Smith