I was hoping that the list members would enjoy these and find  them
interesting. It takes us back in history.
Rick

In a message dated 12/21/2009 10:22:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
stwarogowski_@_windstream.net writes:

"20  Crisp Bodies"... I'm sure management loved seeing that headline.

These  are very interesting Rick.  Thanks for posting the  reports.

Steve

- -----Original Message-----
From:  rjflei_@_aol.com [mailto:rjflei@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2009  9:58 AM
To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
Subject: (erielack) Erie Train  Wreck at Ravenna, OH. 1891

Ravenna, OH Terrible Train  Collision, July 1891
Posted  February 13th, 2008 by _Stu Beitler_
(http://www3.gendisasters.com/users/stu-beitler)

TWENTY CRISP BODIES.
ANOTHER HORRIBLE CALAMITY OCCURS IN OHIO --  SCENES AT THE WRECK ON THE
ERIE
RAILROAD.
Cleveland, Ohio, July 3 -- A  freight train rain into a passenger train on
the  Erie road at  Ravenna, at 3 o'clock this morning, the passenger train
being at a   stand-still. Several cars were torn to pieces and set on fire.
Twenty  bodies,  most of them burned to a crisp, have been taken from  the
wreck.
Twenty-three  injured passengers have been  rescued.
Ravenna, Ohio, July 3 -- The worst  railroad accident ever  occurring in
this vicinity happened at 3 o'clock this  morning. The  horrible calamity
has

fairly appalled the town and nieghborhood.   Twenty people were killed and
their bodies burned to a crisp. More than  that  number were injured. The
charred
remains of the dead were  taken from the ruins  of a demolished passenger
train as fast as  flames could be subdued by the towns  people, who rallied
the  rescue. Such terrible sights as were witnessed in the  early morning
hours made the people almost sick. An express, loaded with  sleeping
passengers, was run into by a freight train while the express was at  a
stand-still in
this city. The wreck of the passenger train was  terrible and  complete.
To add to the condition of the unfortunate  passengers who were  imprisoned
in the debris, the train caught fire  and was consumed. In this way  death
fairly swept through the wrecked  train. By daylight twenty bodies, nearly
all
of them charred in a  horrible manner, were taken out. Twenty three injured

passengers had  also been rescued. A large number of the killed were glass
blowers,  who were on their way east from Findlay.
Youngstown, Ohio, July 3 --   At 3 o'clock this morning a frightful wreck
occurred at Ravenna on the New  York,  Lake Erie and Western railroad.
Train
No. 8, fast express,  bound for New York,  while standing at the depot
waiting
for  orders, was crashed into from the rear  by a freight train. A day
coach
on the rear of the train was completely  telescoped and two sleepers
forward

took fire and were burned up. Nineteen  passengers were  killed and
thirty-eight badly injured. Many of the victims were  so  badly burned that
they are
almost unrecognizable. A special train  conveying  surgeons was sent from
this place. The freight train that  telescoped the express  in the dressed
meat
express from Chicago  and was running at about thirty miles  an hour when
it
struck the  passenger train. The accident was due to carlessness  in
leaving
a  switch open. It is rumored that three of the members of the  Pittsburg
base ball team were killed in the wreck.
Pittsburg, Pa., July 3  --  Director DERR, of the Pittsburg ball club, said
it is possible  that KING, GALVIN  and MILLER were on the wrecked train.
New York,  July 3 -- The following has  been received by the Erie officials

here:
Cleveland, Ohio, July 3,  1891.
E. B. Thomas, First Vice  President:
No. 82 ran into the rear end of  No. 8 at Ravenna station  at 2:32 a.m.
Engineer of No. 8 was doing some work on  his engine. He  had been standing
still
about eight minutes. Had flag out   thirty-five car lengths on a straight
line. Engine No. 679 and two  sleepers  burned up. As near as I can learn
at
present there are  senen killed and about  ten injured.
[Signed] A. M. Tucker, General  Manager.
Cleveland, Ohio, July  3 -- General Superintendent TUCKER, of  the Erie
railroad, nervously paced back  and forth in his office all  this morning
waiting
anxiously for a dispatch from  Ravenna.
"I  have received as yet only meagre reports," he said, "and am  waiting
anxiiously for full accounts from officials. There is nothing to  conceal
about
the wreck. It was caused by an employe's negligence.  Train No. 8, a fast
night express going east, left Kent all right  with a long line of coaches
and
sleepers. A few minutes later fast  freight No. 82 followed the regulation
distance behind. At Ravenna,  the next stop, the engineer found something
wrong  with his machine  and delayed a few moments to fix it. Knowing that
the
freight  was  following, a flagman was sent back to stop it. The failure of
this man  to  properly perform his duty caused the disaster. I am not yet
exactly informed  that he did not do so, but suppose that he failed  to go
back
far enough. He  evidently thought that the passenger  would go on before
the
freight came along  and so shirked his work.  The express train had been at
Ravenna just eight  minutes when the  freight dashed up too close to be
stopped
by the flagman. It   crashed into the rear of the passenger train and
scattered death on all  sides.  To add to the horror fire broke out and
consumed
many of  the dead and injured  who were held fast in the ruins. Such
fearful
sights had better be left to the  imagination than any attempt to  depict
in
words. I do not know how many were  killed, or who they  were, but reports
will
soon tell the story. It was 5 o'clock  this  morning when I first received
word, and since then I have been  endeavoring  to obtain definite news, but
everything is so confused  that as yet I have  received little."
A Later Account.
Ravenna,  Ohio, July 3 -- Four years ago  this town received the greatest
shock  ever experienced by it, and one that was  never expected to  be
equalled.
This shock was the attack upon Detective Hulligan  by  members of the
Blinkey Morgan gang; the killing of Hulligan and the rescue  of  a
prisioner.
This
morning at 3 o'clock the express train on  the New York,  Pennsylvania and
Ohio road was run into by a fast  freight train and nineteen or  twenty
people
were killed and their  bodies charred by flames that soon broke out  in the
wreck. The  Morgan attack was eclipsed and the whole nieghborhood shocked
as

it never expected to be again. The cause of the terrible catastrophe  is
loudly given. Two miles from Ravenna the New York, Pennsylvania  and Ohio
and

Cleveland and Pittsburg cross. When the New York,  Pennsylvania and Ohio
express  reached this crossing this morning, it  was delayed there for a
considerable  length of time. Behind the  express and thundering along at a
rapid rate
was a  refrigerator  train, used to transport meat and accustomed to cover
the distance   it had to run at a speed little less than that of an
ordinary
passenger  train.  After the half at the C. and P. crossing was ended, the
express hurried on to  Ravenna and pulled up at the depot. But the  time
that

the train was held at the  C. and P. road was sufficient  to permit the
meat
train to come up, and hardly  had the wheels of  the express ceased to
revolve
when the engine of the freight   crashed into the rear end of the express
almost at full speed.
The  scene that  ensued was terrible in the extreme. The engine plowed its
way, pushed on by the  wright and momentum of the heavy cars behind  it,
through the coaches as if they  were made of thin boards. Above  the
horrible

grinding and crunching of the cars  could be heard  the agonized shrieks of
the
maimed passengers, who but a second   before were sound asleep. There were
two
or three sleepers in the train  and  these were well filled. There was also
a car of excursionists  bound east. Many  glass blowers from Findlay were
on
board the train  going to New York state. A  dozen people from Akron
composed

an  excursion party on the ill-fated train. When  the collision occurred
those in the rear cars were either instantly killed,  wounded or  pinned
down
by
the portions of the demolished cars. The latter  could  not escape unaided,
and in the terrible fright and confusion  that followed, and  before the
citizens of the town could reach the  scene of the disaster, fire  broke out
in
the wreck and spread  with frightful rapidity. If the accident had  been
awful
before,  it was now an unequalled horror. The flames rushed through  the
debris and the shrieks of the maimed or pinioned could be plainly heard  in
the
night air. Forward the wounded and unharmed passengers were  getting
themselves out of the cars that were still intact. They at  once did all
they

could to stay the flames and rescue the imperilled.  But before this was
done

nineteen people were sacrificed, that many  bodies being taken out
afterward.

Most of these mangled corpses were  blackened and burned in a manner
sickening to  look upon, some of the  being roasted into unrecognizable
masses. As
the work of  taking  out the dead bodies progressed, the full extent of the
calamity  dawned  upon the workers from the town and those of the passengers
who
escaped alive. By  daylight nineteen bodies had been carried out. How  many
more met death is not  known. Those wounded to a considerable  extent
numbered twenty-three. Many others  were bruised and  scratched, in fact
nearly
everybody on the train was hurt to  some  extent. Of the Akron party none
was

killed. A number of Cincinnatians  and  several of the Findlay people met
death.
The work of  identifying the dead is now  in progress.
Cincinnati, Ohio, July 3 --  A telephone message from Manager  HANLON, of
the Pittsburg Base Ball  club, at 10 o'clock states that GALVIN,  MILLER
and
KING, of that  club, were not on the wrecked train. They are still in  this

city.
The Engineer Talks.
GEORGE HOLMAN, engineer of the  freight,  said to a reporter: "I cannot see
that I am to blame. Oh,  my God! If I could  have got sand I could have
stopped the train, but  the rails were wet and the  sand would not take. I
was not
warned  in time and could not see the lights on  the rear of the pasenger
owing to the darkness and fog. I reversed the lever as  quickly as
possible,

and the fireman jumped from the train, sustaining  severe  fracture of the
righthand." MR. HOLMAN seems to think the  brakeman of the  passenger
train,
FRED BOYNTON, could have flagged  from a greater  distance.
Manager TUCKER Talks.
"There is no use  trying to shift the  responsibility," said TUCKER. "Our
road always  tries to use the utmost  precautions for safety, but here is a
case  where a man failed to do his duty. I  do not know yet who he is or
how
he
feels, but I should think he would be  contemplating  shooting himself by
this time. On all our passenger trains there  is  a flagman, whose especial
duty
it is to flag approaching trains in just  such  an emergency as this. The
flagman is selected generally from  among the best  brakemen and is paid
extra
for his work. He is  provided with a lantern and track  torpedoes, and is
expected to  guard the train from others approaching from other  directions.
The
flagman is instructed to not only wave his lantern but place   torpedoes on
the track. In this way the approaching train is given warning  to  stop.
Freight train No. 82 left Kent five minutes behind the  passenger, and the
latter had stopped at the station eight minutes  when the crash came. In
that

time the flagman could have gone back a  mile, if necessary, but he did not
do
so. Engineer PENDERGAST and  Conductor BOYNTON, two of the oldest and most
trusted employes on  the road, were in charge of the passenger train. I do
not
know who the  freight crew were nor whether any of them were hurt. It is
slow  work  obtaining reliable information."
An Eye Witness.
Captain WALLACE,  one  of Warren's best known citizens, was in the third
coach from the  rear of the  train asleep in his berth when the shock came.
His
story of the awful affair is  as follows:
"The train was composed  of vestibuled sleepers. It was, as near  as I can
tell, about 3 a.m.,  when a crash unlike anything I ever before
experienced,

came. I  was thrown from my berth and nearly knocked senseless, but
finally
crawled from under a pile of debris and found myself comparatively
uninjured. I looked about me and the sight that met my gaze I will  never
forget.
The three rear coaches, including the one I was in,  were piled up in an
indescribable mass and flames shot up from two  of them like from a huge bon

fire. The air was filled with the moans  and shrieks of the imprisoned
passengers
and strong men stood helpless  with the knowledge that before their eyes
human  beings were being  burned or crushed to death. My first thought was
for
the  people  in the rear coach. When I boarded the train my attention was
called  to  them by some one remarking that there was a party of
fifty-three
men
in the rear  car. When the freight crashed into us  it crushed this car
into
a thousand pieces  and flames broke out  almost immediately. How any of the
passengers in that car  escaped,  if they did, is a mystery. I saw them
take
some eighteen or twenty   bodies from the wreck, but I do not think that
that

is half of those  who will be  found to be missing when the reports are in.
I am of the  opinion that every man  in the rear coach was killed. The
sight
of  the corpses as they were taken from  under the debris was sickening.
Pieces of flesh, an arm or a leg were found and  in this way it  was
impossible
to tell how many were killed. Every piece that was   taken out was burned to
crisp, so that identification was impossible.  When I  left the scene the
wreck was still smouldering and the air  was fairly thick with  the odor of
burning bodies."
The  Dead.
The following is the list of the  dead so far as  identified:
THOMAS VINHILL, Corning, N. Y.
DAVID RELITAN,  Corning,  N. Y.
WILLIAM KANE, Brooklyn, N. Y.
ALBERT GANTRAP, Corning, N.   Y.
HENRY GILDAY, Corning, N. Y.
The Wounded.
The following is a list  of  those wounded and missing:
FRED HUFF, Corning, N. Y.
FRED  BURNS, Corning,  N. Y.
JAMES GRIFFIN, Boston.
A. HARDEMAN, Corning,  N. Y.
LEWIS KIMBALL,  Corning, N. Y.
WM. NEWCOMB, Corning, N.  Y.
JOHN CADIGAN.
JOSEPH  MADIGAN.
THOMAS HANLEY.
JAMES  DWYICKIN.
GEORGE SMITH.
DENNIS  RYAN.
The Fort Wayne Sentinel  Indiana 1891-07-03
The  following is an accurate and complete list of the dead in the   wreck:
JOHN COYLE.
DAVID RELATIN.
FRANK BURNS.
JOHN  GRIFFIN.
FRED  DUFF.
OWEN HARDMAN.
DENNIS RYAN.
PATRICK  RYAN.
DENNIS  CASSIDY.
ALBERT GUNTHERUP.
JOHN DENNE.
HENRY  GILDE.
T. A.  NOTAN.
THOMAS KIEVELLE.
WILLIAM NEWCOMBE.
All  of the above named are  from Corning, N. Y.
WILLIAM KANE, aged 14, of  Brooklyn.
JOHN KIMBALL, of  Findlay.
MRS. MAMIE KENNAN and Child,  of Chicago.
The Weekly News Mansfield Ohio   1891-07-09

The Erie Lackawanna Mailing  List