Re: (erielack) Interline Switching Waybill

In a message dated 12/17/2009 8:23:12 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
stwarogowski_@_windstream.net writes:

To  continue with the discussion about the paperwork used and the use of
home
road vs. foreign cars, I've scanned and sent to the list an EL  Interline
Switching Waybill.  It is a boxcar of coffee from Maxwell  House in Hoboken
for General Foods in Youngstown to be delivered to the YS  (Youngstown &
Southern) via the PRR at Haselton  Yard.

In Conrail days we delivered these cars to the Y&S interchange at the  top
of the hill above Poland Avenue for the Y&S to deliver to General Foods  in
Boardman, Ohio.  They usually ran once a week, Thursdays and handled  those
cars and not much more.  They were paid about $120 per car by Conrail  to
handle the car.  They usually moved two or three cars.  This was a  Y&S crew
using a leased P&LE engine for the day so it was not a profit  center for the
P&LE which owned the Y&S at the time.  A full five  man crew (labor
agreement), engine lease, etc. cost over $1000 for the day to  make the move and
bring in less than $400 in revenue.

In reference to the waybill that Steve posted, at that time the PRR was
probably delivering the cars to General Foods directly.  The PRR (and PC  and
even Conrail) had trackage rights to perform switching on the Y&S (at  least
at General Foods).  My GM came to Youngstown one day and wanted to  hi-rail
from Haselton to Boardman to see if he wanted to resume switching GF as
they were unhappy with the Y&S service.  One look at the track and he  told me
that if "I" ever thought of doing it (and it was HIS idea) that he would
fire me.
The track has since been rebuilt several times and sees daily service
handling C&D traffic from New Jersey to a landfill in Negley.

SMT