RE: (erielack) EL empty car waybill

BJC
I believe your last paragraph is in error--the division of freight revenue was (and is) independent of the ownership of the freight car.  In the case of a SP car loaded with wine on the B&H to a distributor on the SP in Oakland routed BH-EL-CNW-UP-SP the SP would receive Car Hire payments from each of the handling railroads (assuming it was on their line at midnight on one or more days).  The freight revenue would divide on a Divisions basis (pre-agreed splits of freight revenue loosely based on mileage) among the same Road Haul railroads.  An intermediate switch and terminal road, the Belt Railway of Chicago, was typically paid a flat amount per car handled and might or might no pay car hire.
        In the case of a load of wine from the B&H to a distributor on the UP in Ogden UT (a UP-SP interchange) an SP car could be loaded and routed BH-EL-CNW-UP to destination.  After being released empty at Ogden the UP would turn the car over to the SP.  Revenue would divide only among the railroads which handled the load (BH, EL, CNW, and UP) each of which would pay SP for Car Hire while the car was on their lines.  From the SP's Car Hire point of view it would be indifferent as to whether the car came west loaded or empty.  Well into the Conrail era the SP had a man in Philadelphia to work with CR car distribution to assist in having SP cars available for use by customers who could ship via SP.  With his concurrence the Car Service Rules could be amended on an individual spotmove basis.
       Hope this doesn't muddy this subject, which is critical to how the EL and even railroads today (when they elect to handle some business) earned their money.
MJC