- -------------- Original message ----------------------
From: Gordon Davids <g.davids_@_verizon.net>

> Pat -

A loaded car moved on just one waybill from origin to destination over all of
the railroads involved in the movement.  The originating carrier issued the
waybill, which was a standard form adopted by all of the railroads.  The waybill
> was actually one part of a four-page form that was typed with carbons.

The shipper signed the Shipping Order, which was the authorization for the
originating carrier to take charge of the shipment and move it, and to bill
> either the shipper or the consignee for the transportation.

The railroad then gave the shipper the Bill of Lading, which was the
acknowledgment of receipt of the shipment, and which in some cases was mailed by
the shipper to the consignee who had to surrender it to the delivering carrier
> to prove ownership of the shipment.

The Waybill moved with the shipment, and served as the direction to the various
carriers to perform the transportation, as well as a record of the actual