RE: (erielack) Mahoning Division Yards

>> My thought here was to have Leavittsburg be the west end of my layout. I
>> thought it would be a nice Scene for the Highway bridge over the 1st and 2nd
>> divisions just beyond SN junction would be idea for the entrance for the
>> west end stageing. The 2nd division locals would just be like transfer runs
>> in from the stageing area then.
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,
> A very interesting concept. How long would you make the Second District? Or
> would it be staging, too?

The west end of the 1st and 2nd division would be the staging area, the east end of the 2nd division would be a stub end. Similar to how some people model an interchange.

> So perhaps I should fudge a bit and operate it as a single track CTC main
> and have the other track be the endless siding.
> I think if you do this you might lose the flavor of the first district. One
> thing that carries over from the prototype to modeling is the idea of not
> tying up the main line for switching. I have a double track main on my
> layout and in switching districts I have done exactly this. A switching lead
> that can be used by locals so as not to have to go out on the main.

I'm not sure if this is entirely true, EL had single tracked most of the 1st division north of Leavittsburg, and modeling 3-5 track wide areas would be really hairy over any significant distance I think.