(erielack) Mahoning Division Yards

My thought here was to have Leavittsburg be the west end of my  layout. I
thought it would be a nice Scene for the Highway bridge over the 1st  and 2nd
divisions just beyond SN junction would be idea for the entrance for the
west end stageing. The 2nd division locals would just be like transfer runs
in  from the stageing area  then.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,
A very interesting concept. How long would you make the Second District? Or
 would it be staging, too?

Odd, on the various maps I have  dug up it seems to indicate that the
Little Republic yard and Trumball Cliffs  furnaces were on the PRR line south of
Warren & the B&O/EL. I had also  seen the name "Pipe Line 1 & 2" listed and
wondered at what that term  meant.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
The EL ran on the B&O track down to the mill. The PRR paralleled this
track from near Ohio Corrugating (on the PRR)  along side the mill. The  mill
had their own railroad that worked inside the mill along with the B&O.  The
blast furnace is on the other side if the Mahoning River. I do know that the
EL had hot metal runs into the mill from the Hazelton furnaces in
Youngstown. I  don't know if there was any hot metal coming out of the Warren furnace.
There  might have been as Valley Mould in Hubbard and Shenango Inc. in
Sharpsville, Pa.  got hot metal from Hazelton and possibly Warren, too. As a
side note - the  Warren blast furnace was once the largest in the world. I
think the PRR (PC or  CR) may have contracted their switching out to the B&O.

This is unfortunate, from a modelling perspective. I was ok  with the idea
of a double track main (conventional wisdom holds that model  layouts look
bigger if they are single track) but to have that 3rd Siding track  follow
the main down an additional isle all the way to Girard seems unpleasent.
Would it Really ruin it if I made those empties run out on the main to Mosier
Yard as a hop?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,
I don't think this would be too big a deal either way. Sometimes you have
to take a little "modelers license" to make things work.

So for  modeling the mills, is it more realistic to have ore cars switched
into a  dumping yard to stockpile it for the mill to use at leasure or to
have  loaded hoppers put right up the the mills for direct loading into the
plant?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Steel mills are massive structures and difficult to model. Most blast
furnaces had a ore yard at which I think the other raw materials may have  been
dumped by rotary dumper to feed into the furnace. You have to make iron
before you make steel. A mill could be a facade behind a blast furnace against
a  wall or backdrop.

So Brier Hill was set up different then  Meadville, where Meadville had
eastbound yard on the one side of the main and  westbound on the other side of
the main?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Calling Steve Timko!

Were there specific EB/WB tracks at  Brier Hill and they just had to cross
over the opposing main to enter the  yard?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I think this is true. Calling Steve again.

So perhaps I  should fudge a bit and operate it as a single track CTC main
and have the other  track be the endless siding.
I think if you do this you might lose the flavor of the first district. One
 thing that carries over from the prototype to modeling is the idea of not
tying  up the main line for switching. I have a double track main on my
layout and in  switching districts I have done exactly this. A switching lead
that can be used  by locals so as not to have to go out on the main.

Rick Fleischer
Cortland, OH.