Re: (erielack) Mahoning Division Yards

In a message dated 12/13/2009 1:06:03 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
llyengalyn_@_hotmail.com writes:

Odd, on  the various maps I have dug up it seems to indicate that the
Little Republic  yard and Trumball Cliffs furnaces were on the PRR line south of
Warren &  the B&O/EL. I had also seen the name "Pipe Line 1 & 2" listed and
wondered at what that term meant.

The PRR had a couple of small storage yards in the area of Republic  Steel.
 If you look at a map it appears that the PRR was the  serving line for
Republic as is ran along the plant while the EL was 3/4  mile or so away as was
the B&O.  The B&O has a spur running to  the plant from the Old Main that
crosses Pine Street near the mill and that is  the way all freight goes in
and out of the steel plant complex including serving  the coke works that is
no longer owned by the same group that owns  the Republic plant.  BTW, the
Republic plant is closed down and has  been for well over a year.  There is
talk of reopening but nothing firm  that I have heard presently.  Republic
Steel was a customer for the EL,  B&O and PRR but only the B&O actually served
them.  The PRR and EL  left cars in the support yards and the B&O served the
mill by delivering and  pulling the cars for the other roads.  They were
paid a hefty amount for  this by EL and PRR.  Actually, there were three
different rates I believe;  one for cars to and from Republic, one for ore for
the Trumbull Cliffs Furnace  (the Republic blast furnace) and one for coal and
coke in/out of the Republic  Coke Works.  (MJC--can you expound on the
actual rates?)

The name Pipeline (tracks) came from Buckeye Pipeline Co that had a pumping
 station in the area.

So Brier Hill was set up different then Meadville, where Meadville had
eastbound yard on the one side of the main and westbound on the other side of
the main?

Were there specific EB/WB tracks at Brier Hill and they just  had to cross
over the opposing main to enter the yard?
Exactly.  Meadville had the eastbound yard on the EB side and the
westbound yard on the WB side with the mains down the center.  Brier Hill  had #1
and #2 South Yard on the south side of the EB main,  The yard itself  was on
the north side of the WB mains. (#1 and #2 South Yard were basically for
delivering ore and pulling empties from YS&T Brier Hill Works)

EB trains yarding at Brier Hill would cross over at VO and pull through the
 extension track into the yard or cross over at the West end and pull in
the yard  but most of the time, they came down the main east of the east end
and crossed  over and backed in.

SMT

SMT