(erielack) Re: Fwd: EL Mail List Digest V3 #3318 STEEL

To Brad, SMT, and List;

I also found the Mahoning Div. post about the Steel Mill yard work VERY
interesting. Clear and concise.
Tabor's Vol. one mentions that Republic, at Abbott Road, Buffalo, was
the DL&W's 2nd biggest customer.
So there must have been a lot of un-listed moves between E. Buffalo
yard, and them.
Tabor lists the local freights for the east: the M&E, the NY Division,
the S&U, but "forgot" the area
at the west end out of Buffalo; or most likely he just didn't have any
data.
Anybody KNOW where and how, iron ore came from the lakers (boats) from
the waterfront into Abbott Road? We do know where the coal and coke
came from, or do we?
West of the Buffalo psgr. station, we also know that coal was dumped;
and also that LCL and other freight was consigned in and out of Lake
St. Perry St, and Columbia frt houses, etc.
I would ASSUME, and I know that this is dangerous, that if the company
"scheduled" roustabouts in other areas, that they LIKELY scheduled
similar work in this area, too.
Must have been a busy stretch of railroad, what with B&O, WAB, NKP,
Psgr trains, and BCK and PRR traffic "interfering" at their crossings.
ANY THOUGHTS?

Am currently working on a version of CTC for Buffalo to East Binghamton;
asked awhile back about WHY some manifests took longer than others, to
traverse;
HB-7, for example, made a lot of pick-up stops, also stops at Groveland
and Wayland to set and release retainers on many others; this took
TIME, depending on train lengths.
the recent booklet re frt movements from ELHS was a big help!
the older I get, the more I learn (or forget?) !
thanks, guys.....
73's, Charlie Gerow