Re: (erielack) diamond and a DL&W F3 question

Bob,

The Mars lights I've seen on DL&W passenger power was either on or off.  For
some reason Scranton east crewman rarely used the Mars lights, I assume
(dangerously) that was because of the somewhat low number of grade crossings
particularly when they reached the M&E . One exception was the hogger of  #7
a late evening arrival at 11:15PM who always put on a light show in the
Roaring Brook chasm a few minutes after the hour,
never to be forgot when seen from the overlook at Arthur Ave and Roslynn St.

I am not aware of any thing but a mars light switch , so I don't know if
they could separately control the mars light motor.
Rio Grande F-Units had an arrangement to "center up" the mars light and it
would then display  same as a second headlight.  DRGW units also lacked the
red "zero air" light  having two white bulbs.

Anyone else have any thoughts or recollections to add ?  I know it wasn't
long after the merger that it was EL's policy to eliminate the Mars lights
ASAP.  One less item for the ICC inspectors to flag.

cheers

Bill