From: walter smith [mailto:wsmith5957_@_yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 8:57 PM
To: Harold R. Brink PE; EL Mail List
Subject: (erielack) Re: Lackawanna Diesels

Harold,

    I started on the former ERIE in Youngstown, Ohio....& after merger, went
to Scranton (DL side), then NY Div'n (Erie side), then Binghamton &
Syracuse.
     To answer ur question, the DL&W had center cab switchers (I've seen a
foto of one in Scranton) but this was a pretty old one & numbered in a
sequence that was same as an EMD SW 1200. I got in an argument with an old
operator who hated the centercab switcher acct. when it sanded on the
interlocking at Bridge 60 it caused switches to jam up. I soon realized we
were talking about 2 different engines. By the time I got to Scranton
(1960-61) the centercab was gone.
As for roadpower, the DL&W side was pretty much EMD/ Fairbanks - Morse & a
few Alcos here & there like Kingston which had 3 RS2s for a while & when I
worked there was changed to 3 SW1200s.
     There WAS a wierd-looking centercab at Hoboken which was 3-power
(battery, diesel, & electric w/ pantograph) this engine mainly worked around
Hoboken/Secaucus, If u can call that 'roadwork'. That's about it. There's a
foto of this wierdo in one of the Taber books.

Have a great Christmas, Harold.

Walt Smith