(erielack) Erie Signals

Jim Gerofsky wrote:

> I wonder if an interlocking signal that would use Clear Slow for a
diverging route
> would show Restricting if the next signal ahead on that route was Stop
or Stop and
> Proceed.  Knowing the Erie, I'll bet that's what it was -- let  'em
crawl, even if the next
> signal is a mile away and the machinery knows there's nothing on the
block itself.

Restricting was used in place of Slow Approach on the Erie.

Often, Clear Slow was displayed on a dwarf signal.  Many dwarf  signal
installations were in locations that did not permit a signal  mast.  Per EL Rule
290, a constant yellow on a dwarf signal meant  Restricting, not Slow
Approach.  With the addition of a flasher, the  dwarf could display Rule 283
Clear Medium (flashing green) or Rule 286  Medium Approach (flashing yellow),
but there was no provision for Slow  Approach.  It says something about the
Erie's reluctance to spend money on  flashers (or, even more horrifying, to
erect bracket masts,  cantilevers, or signal bridges) that for two decades
dozens of  Medium Speed passing siding exit switches across the railroad
required  location-specific timetable speed restrictions permitting trains taking
a  Clear Slow signal to leave the siding at 30 MPH.

I'm not sure where the flashing dwarf signals came from, Erie or DL&W,  but
it's a practical solution.  In contrast, NYC created a  complex system of
two-arm dwarf signal aspects which was parallel,  but dissimilar, to the
system of aspects used on high  signals.  Where Erie's standard US&S dwarf used
a nice big  searchlight-style lens, the NYC-design dwarfs necessarily used
smaller lenses,  and due to their close proximity to each other they are hard
to make out at a  distance.  But their real downfall, as I see it, is their
bewildering  complexity.  Conrail installed some of these dwarf signals  at
CP-OLEAN.