(erielack) Erie Signals - Meadville

STEVE:  Very interesting!  My question is, how did the automatic signal mechanism for 516-1 distinguish between a shunted circuit (say because of freight cars or a train in the block) and an open facing-point switch?  I suspect there was some special circuitry and relays attached to that one hand-throw into the yard, as to give a red-over-yellow at an automatic.  (I assume this signal wasn't manually controlled, like those telephone train order signals used at various points on the Erie, the ones with the Pennsy-like position lite signal under the color light signals).

In theory, a red-over-staggered yellow is not in the 1964 rule book, UNLESS you consider this under Rule 297, as a defacto telephone train order signal.  That rule allows a red over yellow semaphore with number plate, indication being "take siding and when clear of main track report for instructions".   JIM GEROFSKY

Well, westbound at Meadville Yard, signal 516-1 at MP 103.39 was equipped
to display a RESTRICTING indication when the switches were open into
Meadville  West Yard.  This allowed the switches to remain open between trains
and/or  allowed a yard crew to leave the switches open for the next train to
pull into  the yard without stopping to line the route and tie up the road
crossings in  downtown Meadville.  This was a two-arm signal with staggered
heads,  and was equipped with a number plate (516-1).  It could display Clear,
Approach, Approach-Medium, Stop and Proceed, and Restricting.