RE: OT Outlook Mail for Schuyler and Others Re: (erielack) Erie Map

>Thanks, Jim, for the advice, but I've already done all those things.  And statistically, I'm nowhere
>near the "limits" in the active folders.  I'm familiar with the "Outlook has reached its limit of
>size" message at work, where I have "the largest email profile in the organization," according to
>IT.

At work, I have my Archive.pst on the network server, and my outlook.pst is on the mail server. Backups tus end up in different places. At home, Outlook Express's "Mail" folder occupies a single folder on a secondary drive and is thus easy to back up. It also solved my problem with Corel Draw's disk caching system, which allows one to specify the location but **really reallly really*** likes being on the C:\ drive (A known issue).

>What happens is that emails arrive on the Verizon server, and when I download emails from there, a
>subset of those are actually delivered to my computer.  I can see them on the Verizon web page, so I
>know what I am not getting.  I can forward the non-received emails with about 50% success.

Ah -- nothing to do with Outlook.

I have a couple of comments on this to add to the excellent help regarding going to the webmail and checking things out. When running into this problem, I've alsways but anything with an attachment into another folder, download the rest, then go back and restore the inbox, and see where the problem is.

A side note -- earthlink and others put limits on the size of attachments. In earthlink's case, 10 MB. But I've been in libraries where suddenly I have a file that's more than 10 MB (I can think of some large maps in particular). Most libraries allow web use on their computers, even within proprietary databases (and map files, for that matter). So I go to webmail, and attach the large file, and, of course, it craps because it's too large. But then I save a copy in "Drafts" -- and then when I get home, go to webmail and save the "Attachment" to my hard drive without ever using the email or challenging its limit.

BTW -- it helps to have all the email addresses working, because at least in earthlink, each one gets 100 MB -- so with eight "free" addresses there's alot of material that can be scarfed up before running into trouble -- so jguthrie and Henry K Norton Truistee and Herman T Stichman Trustee and NYSWCoalCo and the rest all reach their 100 MB limit. If I'm out of town, I sort this out on my laptop and send it on home.

>The Dell guy said if that didn't work, I'd need to reinstall the operating system . . .

Well, they've been cutting expenses alot lately <g>.

One other cmment regarding gmail: I've had a gmail account myself since GWU's Alumni Mail was moved off the University's system and into a branded gmail address (anyone of ErieLackawanna-branded email on gmail?). But many on the Episcopal CHurch list I'm on use it, and every so often someone comes crying that "everything has disappeared."  The NY Times mentioned this phenomena once as well, though I certainly haven't run into it and most people I know who use gmail have not run into it. But it's out there.

Cheers,
Jim