FW: FW: (erielack) Back to signaling and train orders...

Got this response from lister Rich Pennisi regarding my question, and I
thought others on the list might like to see what an operator has to say
about this. I received a similar reply from Steve Timko (another EL
operator) as well.

	- Paul

Paul,

		I waited to answer this one on purpose.  I wanted to see
what kind of answers were going to be put out there.

		Extra trains in ABS double track, not single track ABS,
are governed by signal indication and that is their authorization to
proceed...period.  Clearance form A's were only for through line
passenger trains...again period. See old EL timetables for method of
operations on each division.  It is all outlined in the special
instructions.

		SC8 for example is called on duty in Scranton at 11:00
am.  The crew is ready to leave with thier train at 11:45 am....they
just get permission from the yardmaster to leave the yard, if that is
required, and enter ABS on signal indication or via controlled home
signal, say from Bridge 60. The dispatcher would tell either the
yardmaster to just let him go or say the same to the tower operator.  It
is all that was required.  If we had radios on every train and every
tower it might have been a little different.  The dispatcher might have
talked directly to the train or if union contracts (for operators)
forbid such stuff then the permission would be relayed from him the
whover and issued to the train.....Have a nice trip................

		Now en route, a track condition arises, that will cause
the train to reduce its speed other than the timetable speed.  This
information must be conveyed via train order (under EL rules). If there
is no interlocking tower near by or train order office, then the crew
must stop at a dispatcher's telephone and copy a train order. Of course
this would be after they talked to the train dispatcher on the radio.
EL did not permit verbal train orders over the radio. It was a sin to do
so. So we never gave someone a verbal  train order IE: 3601 20 moph at
mp 122. th MP 122.50 on Eastward track. (at least on the New York
Divisiona nad I'm pretty sure the Scranton Division was the same.

		SC8 might have to run opposite main (against the current
of traffic) someplace.  So a right over order would be needed.

		A few dispatchers were real lazy and would verbally tell
someone to run against the current of traffic.  This is why there was a
head on around Passaic years ago because someone forgot about such a
move.  There was no protection by the dispatcher blocking switches and
signals nor was a train order issued.  A classic example of your
laziness coming back to haunt you and killing someone.

		There were many trips when no train order was necessary
for trains all day long.  Regularly scheduled trains, either freight or
passenger in ABS or TCS were authorized by the timetable and signal
indication....

		Now if we are talking down the Bloom, I believe a train
order was required for extras other than the regularly scheduled trains
( no signals after the early 60's I believe)  Example 261 due to leave
Scranton 10:00 am daily is scheduled.  If the train was anulled for the
day all trains using the Bloom would receive a train order that might
read:  Number 261 due to leave Scranton August 25, 1966 is annulled.
Now every train out their knew they didn't need to protect against that
train as it was not running that day.  Another example could be No. 261
due to leave Scranton August 25, 1966 will operate 10 hours late on
schedule.  No everyone knows when to get in the clear for this train if
261 was Superior to their train.

		Does this make it clear???????  If not let's talk some
more.

		Rich