From: Josh Blevins <stillbre_@_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: (erielack) EL "Canstock car"

This is a re-occuring thread over on the Modern Freight Car List on Yahoo.
The "Canstock" cars were designed to haul coils of tin used for making tin
cans.  Hence the "Canstock" in quotes.  Tin coils would be very heavy.  A
load like this would commonly be carried in a covered gondola but since it
needed to be protected from the elements more than an aluminum coil or steel
coil it was carried in a box car.  Also, because of their size, the tin
coils are difficult to maneuver into and out of a box car with centered
doors.  If I recall correctly, the discussion on the MFCL indicated that the
coils were too large to be loaded thru centered doors and moved over the
trucks of the car.  This means you could only load 1 per car.  By offseting
the door towards the ends of the cars, you could load two coils.  Each coil
sat over top the trucks.