(erielack) A Short History of Railroad Milk

> Can anyone give me a generall rundown of what happened with milk traffic?
> They >just decided it was not a sanitary way to transport milk or what?
> I'll say it's list content since the Erie did haul a lot of milk in it's
> time

Milk has an interesting history. It was generally something that came from a
coy in the yard or cows in the neighborhood, but this became untenable as
cities ge and specialized,

But the next bigh push for milk as we remember it as railroad nostalgia fans
was the Erie Canal. New York Farmers who grew grains to feed NYC were
devastated by the Canal, because it turned out to be cheaper to move grain
from the "Old Northwest" to tidewater and the big cities than to haul it,
say, from Orange and Sussex Counties.

Dairy/milk was borne of desperation, and its gowth coincided with the
extension of the Erie into Orange County, Technology like condensing and
canning added to the marketing possibilities as well as the traditional
cheese and butter-making.

A side business, related to this was ice - needed to keep whole milk fresh,
but to get to a point where making the ice business worthwhile also included
selling ice at retail -- a new business in the 19th century to be sure (and
orth a topic by itself).

Those milk cans (and not just from the Erie) went to Jersey City and other
places where they ended up on milk wagons -- which went around street by
street like the later day Good Humor trucks, ringing a bell and calling
mothers and children out with a bucket, where a ladle would pull the milk
from the can and into the bucket. In poor neighborhoods, one used it quickly
because families could not afford ice to preserve the milk.

The unsanitary nature of all this (plus watering scandals) became an issue
as childhood diseases of all sorts became a crusade (typical familes might
start out with 7-8 births and end up with 3-4 children making it to
adulthood).

Technology replaced the 40 gallong milk cans with bottles, and tankers to
central bottling plants quickly replaced the railroads "way of doing
things." Railroads tried tamkers, but milk trains were not geared to central
24-hour a day bottling plant needs. And one would not want to try to ship
bottled anything by rail <g>.

Mechanical refridgeration took the profit margin out of ice, and the need
for ice in the milk business could not support ice on its own

Tanker trucks, operating on new, taxpayer-supported highways with mechanical
refridgeration was an answer that blended in perfectly with the new model of
the business.  New Deal legislation aimed at boosting support for farmers'
income also contributed to the changing nature of the market.

And technology came to critical mass about the time of the Great Depression,
when railroads lost nearly half their business and had few resources for new
investment. What's more the railroads persuaded the ICC to start regulating
motor carriers in 1935 -- and as usual, when the railroads demanded
something, the ICC complied (even as railroads would always suffer untended
consequences and whine about "burdensomne regulation" later <g>).

They insisted that motor carrier rates be set in relation to railroad rates,
but not the level of service, so truckers ate the railroad's high-value
commodities (like milk) in almost one huge gulp, because good service was
important on a perishable product on a relatively short-haul like milk.

Obviously there's much more to this interesting story, and no one has really
taken the step back to look at the history of milk transportation in detail
(at least not that I know of).

There's been lots of railfan history of the subject: Bob Mohowski's O&W Milk
book is outstanding; the M&NJ Society's publications ditto, and the Rutland
fans have published some neat stuff too. And there are the nice books on
creameries and the like on the DL&W too.

But Milk and the Railroads is one of those great gaps in railroad
history-writing.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie