Re: (erielack) Free-Mo modules

Mark,
Free-Mo has been around for many years.  I believe it started in the late 80s.  When I first got into the hobby as a teenager in the 90s there was already Free-Mo groups around.  Seems to be most the Free-Mo groups are out west.  SoCal, NorCal, and Southwest are some of the larger groups.  There's a large group in the St Louis area as well and I believe there's another group up in the northeast or Ohio somewhere.  All you really need to get started is just a group of people willing to build modules with you.  There's also a Yahoo list dedicated to Free-Mo.
Free-Mo is a lot more widespread than the Sipping & Switching Society.  Each group has its own advantages and disadvantages.  The S&SS has set very rigid standards for its modules.  This has enabled us to still run modules that were built in the 70s.  Free-Mo has until recent years been a little more lax with their standards.  As a result they have some modules that are already starting to suffer sags and warpages.  Free-Mo tries to run a prototype operating session when they set up but from what I've observed it tends to be more of a free-for-all once things start.  We're more of a free-for-all run but could run an operating session since most the members are prototypical operators.  The S&SS was designed as more of a showcase layout with a seperate branch line for switching.  This doesn't make the modules very flexible operations wise but it all depends on what you want to do with it.  Because we have a double mainline at the front and a single track
 "branch" in the rear, the modules can only face one direction whereas Free-Mo can be set up in either direction.  In recent years we've started doing 15" wide branch line modules to create more flexibility.  Free-Mo is also much more prototype-based in their scenes.  The S&SS is a lot more freelanced but there's a couple of us that are building prototypical scenes.  We even have a Schykill(sp?) viaduct.  I think the biggest advantage the S&SS has over Free-Mo is set-up time.  We can have a layout covering a gym floor set up in a matter of an hour or so.  That same layout will take Free-Mo several hours to set up by the time they install bridge plates, tote everything around, and clamp in together.  The S&SS runs track right to the frontier eliminating the need for bridge plates.  Electrical connections are made via trailer plugs.  A majority of the modules are built on casters easing they're ability to be moved around.  Also, Free-Mo has to use Code 83
 track to work.  While 83 is by far the most popular out there, the S&SS can use anything from Code 40 to Code 100.  We have it all, except for Code 100.
The Sipping & Switching Society has a Yahoo group as well.  We also have a couple satelite groups starting in southern Ohio as well as active members in MI and VA.  Feel free to visit our website: http://www.mindspring.com/~gugliotta/  Also join both Yahoo groups and talk to the people who actually build the modules.
I encourage everyone to research both groups before deciding on which route to take.

Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC
http://www.pbase.com/stillbre
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=2240