Re: (erielack) Athearn UPS Trailers

The A-line product is the 28' 8'6" wide drop-frame pup trailer that was
produced beginning in 1982, and therefore not appropriate for EL. The
correct 40' long 8' wide drop-frame trailer was by Rail Power Products,
which produced an undec kit. The RPP product line was acquired by Athearn,
and this trailer is the basis for Athearn's rtr UPS offering. Walthers
released the earlier 26'6" pup trailer which was produced in the early
1960's, but AFAIK was not used in intermodal service.

Ed, I have an excess of the original RPP trailers which I'll be happy to
sell to you. Here's how this came about: I acquired a fleet of these back in
the mid-90's, and since my modeling is chronically about 15 years behind
schedule, the rtr version came out before I had the time to assemble them.
So I bought a bunch of these so I wouldn't have to spend time decorating the
RPP's (always looking for the easy way). How many do you need? It will have
to wait until the fall when I get time to sort through my inventory.

Don't forget that until 1974, the UPS fleet was dominated by straight-frame
exterior-post 40' trailers; the Athearn Z-van is very close to this and IIRC
comes in an undec version with the correct roll-up door. Also, substantial
westbound UPS volume was Plan II1/2, carried in RR-owned trailers and even
COC.

Pat, I'm still curious: how are UPS trailers going to fit in to your Wayland
branch layout?

Paul B

From: pat.moore_@_att.net
Subject: Re: (erielack) Athearn UPS Trailers

Ed...

They were hard to come by even when they were originally released.  I missed
out on them as well.  I hate to say it, but eBay will be your best bet.  You
might keep your eye out for the piggyback flat that comes with two UPS
trailers.  I saw several of them on eBay a few weeks ago.  They sold for
something in the neighborhood of $25 to $30 for each set, that is, a flat
with two trailers.

You might luck upon some of the old UPS trailer kits that were done by
A-Line, I think.  I was in a shop a few months ago and found one.  I'll have
to build, paint, and decal it, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Good luck with your search!

- - -pat