RE: (erielack) Portage Viaduct speed limits

Further background information from another person:

There is a design for a new bridge, a concrete single span arch, "in the drawer" ready to go, but
the cost is $35,000,000, and probably rising daily, given the inflation in the construction
business.  The new alignment eases the curve situation.  It also satisfies NYS DEC's worries about
harm to Letchworth State Park.

The existing bridge is beyond fixing as it includes original wrought iron elements which cannot be
easily replace.

SGL

> Quoting a knowledgeable friend:
>
> "It was 15 [mph] in the 60's when the cylindrical covered hopper rock itself into the gorge. I am
> not sure when it went to ten, but it probably was the 80's. I'd have to go through a bunch of
> timetables that I don't have to find out, and I'm not THAT interested. Industry rumor has it that
NS