From: "R.A. Heiss" <nyharborfan_@_yahoo.com>
Subject: (erielack) NY Connecting RR/NY Harbor Ops

As Jim Guthrie said, it is all about when in history we are discussing when
it comes to this part of NY's railroad infrastructure. To reiterate, without
risking too much off-topic info, The NH owned from Port Morris in the Bronx
to Fresh Pond Jct,And the LIIR south to Bay Ridge, because this part of the
NY Connecting was built previously, as the LIRR's Bay Ridge Branch.Today,
Amtrak owns south from the Bronx to Sunnyside Jct in Woodside Queens, CSX
from there to Fresh Pond Jct, and NY&A south of Fresh Pond to Bay Ridge.
Now, to keep this topical to the EL list, going back to the question
regarding the NYC's 60th St yard on the west side of Manhattan, and why
would there be cars floated to here from New Jersey railroads, when they
could just as easily have interchanged cars via Weehawken with the NYC, the
fact is that EVERY railroad on the NJ side sent floats here, even the NYC
out of Weehawken. As it was said previously, any freight bound for NYC
 proper (West Side Freight Line, Put Div) would go this way, rather than all
the way to Selkirk and then down again. Of course, later on, PC probably
made a point of sending freight this way just to discourage shippers. One of
the quirks of the NY Harbor tariff system I alluded to in my earlier post
was the fact that say for instance, the Erie could by all rights interchange
a car to the DL&W via one of the NY contract terminal RR's (BEDT, NYD, etc),
but there would absolutely never be a reason to logically do so - Why send a
car to Brooklyn first when you can send it directly to Seacaucus the first
time - But the fact is the rules allowed for it. I strongly doubt it was
ever done, but who knows? But those of us who are familiar with NY Harbor
operations, there was an extreme LACK of logic for how things were
done!Ralph HeissS. Plainfield, NJ