Re: (erielack) Re: CNJ Interchange

>route-making during the regulated era. Most CNJ New England traffic, of
>course, was interchanged with the New Haven, via both the Alphabet Route and
>carfloat to Bay Ridge.

The CNJ (and other railroads) did not have rights to operate anything int o Bay Ridge to the New Haven. All float traffic would be to Port Morris. Where the railroads interchanged via float was always the bane of transportation planners. For example, most New Haven-LIRR interchange was via the floats between LIC and Port Morris -- NOT over the Hell Gate Bridge, for example (The exception being the Meat Trains off the New Haven which came to Fremont -- pulled by an EF motor, which shoved it back into Freshpond, where a DD-1 would grab it and take the cut to packing plants at Flatbush Avenue -- one of two the only Electric-to-Electric freight handoffs  handoff in the U.S). Even PRR interchange with the LIRR was done at Long Island City, not Bay Ridge.

In fact -- I don't believe you'll find any railroad at any time other than the PRR going into Bay Ridge. Certainly DL&W, Erie and E-L float business to Long Island went via Long Island City.

That's not to say there wasn't **any** float business to Brooklyn from the Jersey railroads, but it would represent local delivery to Bush Terminal and the South Brooklyn Railway.

Going back to the "good old days" there was substantial triffic in boxcars of ice from the DL&W (via Hoboken) and Wilkes Barre and Eastern (via NYS&W/Erie floats) was routed this way to points on the SBK, for example. But not via the LIRR and Bay Ridge.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie
ELHS #1296