Re: (erielack) Former EL Cities on This Sad List

The media in Cleveland didn't have much of a response. A couple nodded
their heads, a couple others laughed at themselves.

I haven't spent much time in Youngstown since I worked EMS there in the
mid 90's, I've heard they've been cleaning it up.

With Cleveland, not much has changed. IMO the problems there all start
with education. When the education system fails, working families
leave, other working families won't move in, industries look at the
schools (being taken over by the state) and go elsewhere. Or when they
have to close a plant, they'll close them in the "dumb" regions first.
That's the start.

Then when some cities give tax breaks and subsidies to new industry,
while others look to line their own pockets, "encourage" you to use
certain contractors, and throw heaps of red tape in the way, where do
you think they're going to build?

But heck, let's spend million$ turning a major 5 lane artery into a 2
lane street with a bike lane, bus lane, and bus stops in the middle of
the street.

I don't see the EL headquarter city turning it around anytime soon. Not
in my lifetime. I work there, but I drive 45 miles one way so I don't
have to live there. Nice place to visit (during the day)...

Mike Spinelli