Re: (erielack) Former EL Cities on This Sad List

>Wish oil prices now, we can take some comfort knowing Vegas, LA and
>other similar places will not grow the way they have been.  Compact
>land use will return.

Probably not -- your federal tax dollars will continue to subsidize these "popular growing cities" with cheap water systems hauling H2O hundreds of miles so people can have nice green lawns in the desert, while we pay for our own old water systems and their upgrading as well.

Advantages like the huge amount of freshwater in the Great Lakes and nearby that should give some kind of location advantage over those patches in the desert will continue to have problems because clean water is some sort of tree-huggers plot, so check the natural advantages.

Upstate New York is an economic basket case no matter how one looks at it, in no small meadure because of local politicians have built careers running against New York City -- so they write laws that end up causing local taxes to soar because they are "protecting" those poor honest farmers from "supporting" New York City -- which is something like 76% of the state's economy.

The other states have generally been hostile to knowledge-based businesses. Companies which live and die by gathering lots of smart people quietly run the other way from states and communities where science becomes subject to religious mythology, and companies offering DP benefits are subject to harassment from taxing authorities and the like. How could they ask people to locate or relocate in such places?

The Scranton paper's website had interesting reactions -- ,uch of which was centered on the city's problems all be the fault of illegal immigrants from Mexico "willing to work for minimum wage" because "young people graduate from college and refuse to come back to Scranton to work for minimum wage." That tells you so much about the place. Why would sane businesses want to deal with that level of thinking?

Cheers,
Jim