Re: (erielack) Former EL Cities on This Sad List

Hello,

By that thinking, there should be no railroads in Ohio. But the short
lines, regionals and class ones are highly profitable, with a few
exceptions. It's all in the management. I can count at least 8 locals
just on old EL rails in northeast Ohio, not counting yard jobs.

The reasons for Cleveland's population decline isn't solely economic (I
drive there to work because I can't make as much $ here) or climate
(most people are moving to the suburbs, we add between 5 and 12 streets
a year for all the home building).

Cleveland, Canton, Youngstown population decline, a lot of the same
reasons, and I won't go into them here. The main one became apparent
when I tried to set up a rail tour of Cleveland and a lot of guys
weren't comfortable being there. And I don't see that ever changing.
Meanwhile you have a major Ohio city like Columbus seeing decent
population growth.

It's possible for a city to come back from the Rust Belt era. There
again, quality of management.

Mike Spinelli

Quoting RJFlei_@_aol.com:

> Paul,
>
> I guess why it's easy to see why the EL is no longer necessary. Also, I
> guess that takes in just about all of the "what if" discussions we've
> had on  this
> board over the years.
>
> Rick Fleischer
> Cortland, OH.