RE: CNJ Interchange; was: RE: (erielack) GL/Boonton, Lincoln Park Siding

Paul,

I was referring to direct interchange. There were a couple of cars routed
EL-P'burg-LV-Allentown-RDG, but it appears there was very little volume.
Prior to 1972, substitiute CNJ for LV in that routing.

Good ? about "standard routings". Other things being equal, loads were
routed to interchanges that gave the longest haul to th RR "handing off",
unless specified otherwise by the shipper's traffic manager. Empty returns
were supposed to return to originating RR via reverse route, according to
AAR interchange rules, although I believe this was disregarded on occasion.
Re: your example of EL-N&W: Since loads moved predominantly EB, N&W
preferred to interchange East Coast traffic at Buffalo. During the Dereco
years, N&W had some incentive to support EL financially, so interchange at
Huntington was emphasized, and new trains ECE and later, the Cannonballs
were established via that route. After EL's bankruptcy caused it to be cast
out of Dereco, the Huntington interchange withered to specified routing or
"shorts". That's one reason why Buffalo interchange remained heavy right to
the end.

The professional RRers on the List can correct me if I'm wrong, but I
believe most RR's maintained lists of preferred or "standard" routings.

Paul B

From: "Tupaczewski, Paul R \(Paul\)" <paultup_@_alcatel-lucent.com>
Subject: RE: CNJ Interchange; was: RE: (erielack) GL/Boonton,  Lincoln Park
Siding

> You're probably correct about PAGLASS. However, I'm not sure
> you understood my comment about traffic to/from the South.
> After CNJ quit PA, it was not involved in any EL interchange
> at P'burg.

"Duh" on my part, I always forget that! :(

> EL interchanged directly with LV.
> Interchange with RDG occurred at Rupert PA, as CS-9's RDG
> cars were in the Taylor block. All the ones in my two
> consists were EC's for Millville NJ.

OK, so there never was any interchange to RDG via LV at P'burg?

> In any event, the
> routing I'm talking about is EL-Lake Jct-CNJ-Bound
> Brook-RDG-Philly-B&O-Pot Yard.

This is useful, thanks! Here's a question I've always wondered: Is there
a list of "standard routings" for the EL? Let's say a car has to get
from NJ to Decatur, IL - what was the most commonly used route? EL-N&W
(at Buffalo)?  Or EL-N&W (at Huntington)?  This is another useful thing
for modelers to put on car cards to let their crews know how to move the
cars.

Paul