CNJ Interchange; was: RE: (erielack) GL/Boonton, Lincoln Park Siding

You're probably correct about PAGLASS. However, I'm not sure you understood
my comment about traffic to/from the South. After CNJ quit PA, it was not
involved in any EL interchange at P'burg. EL interchanged directly with LV.
Interchange with RDG occurred at Rupert PA, as CS-9's RDG cars were in the
Taylor block. All the ones in my two consists were EC's for Millville NJ.
While only five miles from the sand pits on CNJ at Mauricetown, Millville
happened to be on PRSL. How's that for circuity: Croxton-S Jersey via
Scranton? In fact, many of these moves illustrate the inefficiency and waste
in short-haul traffic brought about by antiquated interchange arrangements,
with each RR vying for longer hauls. We see this also as part of the reason
EL-RDG interchange was shifted from Newberry Jct to Rupert. In any event,
the routing I'm talking about is EL-Lake Jct-CNJ-Bound
Brook-RDG-Philly-B&O-Pot Yard. The only EL-CNJ interchange within the NY
Terminal was via carfloat.

As for the COFC, they weren't going to be expedited vs SE-98 by spending
24hr in Croxton yard and then being hauled back west by CS-9.

Paul B

You would also often see CNJ covered hoppers headed west in EL trains
(beside the ES-99). More often than not, these were loaded with sand,
one of CNJ's biggest "exports" from Southern NJ. Thatcher Glass in
Wharton on the EL was often a recipient of these cars. I assume PAGLASS
is one of the glass manufacuturer's sand pits down there?

> and a few COFC headed to
> E'Port/JC (these must have come in from the west and for some
> reason weren't forwarded from SC on SE-98).

Perhaps hot cars that didn't make it to Scranton to make that day's
SE-98?

Which would make sense, if the CNJ wanted to keep a longer portion of
the line haul $$$.  Let's see - CNJ could drop off cars interchanged by
the LV or RDG at P'burg - short haul - or give it directly to the EL at
Lake Jct - much longer haul.

Paul