RE: (erielack) GL/Boonton, Lincoln Park Siding.

Paul,

TOFC trains exceeding 70 cars were rare on EL, at least in 1975-76, and I
have yet to come across one on the ex-DL&W. NY-99 and NY-100 were generally
under 60 cars, A/CX-99 under 30 out of CX. There is a NY-99 ex-CX on
12-23-75 with 70 cars, including 9 forwrder boxcars for ATSF. NY-100 of
7-26-75 was an 83 car monster with PB-100's 36 car TOFC block on the
headend. For comparison, Conrail routinely ran 100 car TOFC trains in the
80's and 90's.

I've come across a couple of very heavy NY-98's. The one originating Marion
on 8-4-75 was 127-3-130 10,327 out of Bingo the next day, with 54 Portlands,
most or all Shawmut coal off the Bradford line. NY-98 out of HF on 6-11-75
had a few extra blocks and was 91-61-152 9096. As an aside, ATSF-100 of
8-4-75 had 11 mechanical reefers, illustrating that it was EL's primary
perishable train.

With a length of 7000+ feet, there were few if any trains Lincoln Park
couldn't accomodate. EB manifests were generally under 100 cars after
setting off at Scranton, Portland and/or E Dover.

Paul B

> Gary
> The SIDING  did extend east of Ryerson Road, but NOT over the
> Pompton  River Bridge.  The switch was between the two.  When
> they moved the  switch west of Ryerson Rd, they did loose
> some capacity.
> Probable 6-8 cars??
>
> Bob Bahrs

BTW, according to a note I have from Art Erdman, the Lincoln Park passing
siding has a capacity of "125 cars" (I assume this means 50' cars?), making
it a little over a mile long. Translated, that means it could hold 70
piggyback flats, and in later years the pig trains definitely exceeded this
length.

- - Paul