Re: (erielack) The Cuttoff, wasNJ Industry

> Well was EL flat out telling NJ no ever really an option? You can
> negotiate and get a good price or

The E-L never told the NJ Dept of Highways "No" on these things. I realize
folk here like to romaticize the railroad in all its glory, but let's be
clear: The E-L was eager to sell the Cut-off to the state for construction
if I-80. No one "stopped" the sale in Cleveland, nor did they price it out
of range. This is not to say that there were people in the organization who
might have objected -- but the fact is, they needed money.

Now -- let's do some speculating: Given the history of how the Erie operated
on these things, if the Erie guys were **in charge** in determining the fate
of the Paterson-Totowa section, they would have insisted on getting their
single track (and maybe a passing siding, signalled), and then, on the even
of the opening of the highway -- abandon it <g>.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie
ELHS #1296