Re: (erielack) ESX/SEX joint trains on EL

Paul and listers,

  From what I was told it was imported coke and was loaded on the CNJ in the Jersey City area somewhere and not on the Reading.

  Rich

Paul Brezicki <doctorpb_@_bellsouth.net> wrote:
  Paul wrote:
"SEX" (I would assume it was a nocturnal job?)

It usually is once there are children around ;-)

There are a couple of undated winter photos in Vol 3 of EL in Color of an ESX climbing Clarks Summit behind EL 2522, 2562, and a couple of U36C's, with the mighty 446 (an SW9) pushing. Since it's west of Scranton the "S" must represent another point, maybe Sharon? This train has been discussed here previously, I think the consensus on destination was a midwest steel plant. Import coke via E'port sounds reasonable, although another possibility is originating on the RDG at the port of Philadelphia, which had bulk handling facilities to support the steel industry in the Philly area and Bethlehem. The route (via Reading and High Bridge) would have been more circuitous than the direct RDG-EL connection at Rupert as well as involving the rickety HB branch. Many of the hoppers in the photos are the EL 70-ton yellow-stripers, so EL contributed equipment idled by the Great Lakes off-season to this interline move.

Paul B

From: "Paul R. Tupaczewski"

Subject: (erielack) ESX/SEX joint trains on EL

To answer Rusty Recordon's earlier question in more detail:

Train ESX - 2/22/75
CNJ 3064/EL 3672/EL 3673 on the point
CNJ 3061/3063 pushing (!)

This is the ONLY "ESX" I have ever seen photos of. I have several photos,
taken by four different photographers, but they're all of this one train.
Does anyone know if more than one ESX was ever run?

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.