Re: (erielack) 2 bay Covered Hoppers Details

Mike if you have the Morning Sun EL Color guide to freight and Passenger
equipment, look on page 69.  If not I'll try to answer as best I can, but as
they say a picture is worth 1000 words.

Q1)  On the prototype cars the cut levers attached to a chain below the
knuckle aligned with the pivot. Most modelers (myself included) attach the
cut lever to the bottom of the coupler box.  That is why the DA levers have
the 90 deg horizontal bend on one end.

Q2) correct one lever, left side when looking at the end. Note the cut
levers on these cars (at least 21366) are different than the DA ones.
Bending them out of 0.010 or 0.015 piano wire should be simple.

Q3)The trainline and air hose are mounted just outside the swing of the
draft gear. usually along the centerline of the coupler. The air hoses are a
little lower than centerline in the photo's for these cars though. Mounting
height for the model would probably be just above the bottom of the coupler
box.
Did athearn model the trainline on these cars, mine are at the club so I can
not check right now.  The trainline is an easy detail to add too since it
ran down one side of the hopper.

Q4) Don't know what the DA 6215 look like. The description sounds like the
modern style used on cars with extended draft gear or cushioned underframes.
If that is the case those are not correct. Best bet for these cars would be
bending your own.

Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY