(erielack) Boonton Line CTC and Mountain View Interlocking

Folks

I have review  DL&W ETTs  No. 112 through 116 and they show that the Boonton Line from West End to Dover was under ABS as was indicated in an earlier email.  Further review shows that Tracks 1-4 were reversible at West End Interlocking, Track 1 was reversible from Lyndhurst Draw to Paterson and Track 1 reversible from  Pompton River Bridge to Jackson Crossing.  There were three tracks from Lyndhurst Draw to Jackson Crossing with Track 3 Westbound and Track Two eastbound.  At Jackson Crossing, the Boonton Line dropped to two tracks with Track 2 reversible from Jackson Crossing to Denville Junction and Track One westbound only.  Clearly, this was a CTC operation as I indicated earlier.  L.T. O'Neill, first trick Boonton dispatcher, was pictured in the LACKAWANNA Magazine showing off the new CTC operation and I believe it was cut over as one operation in a very short time (maybe summer of 1957).

Erie ETT No. 60 (dated April, 1960) is quoted " Automatic two unit color type interlocking signals govern movements over grade crossing of Greenwood Lake Division and the DL&W Railroad at Mountview, NJ.  Eastward signal is located 700 feet west of this crossing and westward signal is located 500 feet east of this railroad crossing.  These signals will operate automatically upon approach of trains but will be subject to supervisory control of DL&W train dispatcher."

Marty Harrison