(erielack) What is it?

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-04-19-07

DSC_8531_resize.jpg (image/jpeg, 1053x700 231279 bytes, BF: 3.19 ppb)
DSC_8532_resize.jpg (image/jpeg, 700x1053 182155 bytes, BF: 4.05 ppb)

While waiting for an NJT train to photograph in my hometown of Boonton
yesterday after work, I stumbled upon something I never noticed in my 20
years of trainwatching at this location (see attached "DSC_8531") - it's a
shorn-off steel pipe embedded in concrete on the side of the right-of-way.
My first thought is that this was a water stand for steam locomotives, but
it's an awfully small pipe for that. DSC_8532 shows where the pipe is in
relation to the right-of-way - this view looks east along the former 4-track
DL&W main. The pipe is at the bottom of the image.

Any thoughts?