Re: (erielack) team tracks without platforms

Penna Dept of Highways got tank cars of tar for use in putting down tar and gravel to resurface roads. I remember these shipments to Martins Creek Jct. Their was a short spur track that at one time went to the True Blue Slate Quarry. It was about 15 feet above the road. The oil trucks would park under the tank car and be filled up directly from it.
  Bob Stafford

jguthrie_@_pipeline.com wrote:
  I believe tar would come in a box car -- in bricks, would it not?

IIRC, it gets thrown into a heater, melted, then used in paving and other jobs, and hardened again when cooled.

Except on hot days when it stuck to your shoes and left tracks on Mom's carpet . . .

Cheers,
Jim