(erielack) Silk Trains on Erie Buffalo Division

Local knowledge in the Hornell-River Junction territory is that the so-called
Ossian Gang of the 1920s hopped the silk cars as they slowed for River
Junction, opened them, and threw off silk to associates who gathered it after the
train passed.  It is generally supposed that they had a mole in the Hornell yard
who let them know when the silk was coming.  It is not known (to me, at
least) whether this silk was bound for the Hornell silk mill or the mills at
Paterson NJ; it could be either.  In 1924 the Hornell Evening Tribune stated that
the Ossian Gang had been captured and gave some additional details.  Around
Dalton, NY at least some of the individuals were well known and other more lurid
tales complete the story.  Gangsters operated in the country, too.

Whether these movements were from Chicago or Buffalo I do not know.

WDB