(erielack) EL HO coaches

[Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007  From: "JOHN J BOEHNER"  <mailto:jjbchian_@_msn.com>
jjbchian_@_msn.com  Listers, Concerning the new EL coaches from Rapido. I am
not a modeler, but had to have one for display in my office. Although the
windows are off from the originals, these really give the "feel" of the EL
1300 series coach. The GMY and lettering is "right on". The only thing I can
add is that the trucks are not correct for 1301 to 1315, as they had clasp
brakes. ]

John, I recently got five of the coaches for operation and they indeed do
look nice and give the right "feel". As with a couple earlier Rapido CN
coaches, they rolled just OK (not free-rolling on a grade but also not
totally sluggish either) and there were a couple wheelsets eccentric enough
to be visually annoying, especially at slow speeds. I am back to
experimenting about which size Reboxx wheelset is the best replacement.

It is weird with the GMY, however. When I look at my DLW/EL diesels
individually, the GMY looks fine. When I look at the Rivarossi cars in GMY,
they look "right". The Rapido cars do indeed look "right on", beautifully so
when coupled together. But drag out a P2000 engine, for instance, and the
difference is rather startling for the gray. The Rapido gray is noticeably
less saturated, coming across as a very light gray; it also seems to have a
yellow tinge to it. The P2000 gray, quite intense, looks like it has a
bluish base to it. It will be a bit of a challenge to make them look like
they belong together, even allowing for differentials in weathering.

But these cars are nice additions to the railroad!! That's the bottom line.

Joe Braun