(erielack) More Hoboken Eateries

Hi again, Listers:

    To continue, In 1957, through 1963, there were two restaurants in the Terminal. The restaurant, or as we called it, the luncheonette, was operated by my Grandfather. The real restaurant, the one in the waiting room, was operated by George Polites. I don't know if his restaurant was RR owned at one time. The luncheonette was closed in 1963. I don't know when Mr. Polites closed the restaurant.

    The entrance to the restaurant was in the waiting room. There is a Tiffany style transom noting the way. There was a small door under the right staircase in the waiting room. This door led to the bar.

    In the waiting room, on the South wall where the shoe shine stand is, my family had a small stand that sold orange and grape type drinks and candy. Under the Stairs, there was a passage to the ferries. That passage was closed when the Terminal was restored.Up until the late forties, we had a small stand located just outside the passage on the vehicular concourse. The flower shop is where the checked baggage office was.

    The last eatery I remember was located in the old freight yard, This was definitely accessible to RR employees only. Unless you worked in the freight yard, or knew someone who did, you'd never know it was there.

    To get there from the Terminal, you walked out to track 15, continued South across the other tracks to the long slip, or the canal. There you boarded a small pram, a small boat with squared off ends. The boat had a makeshift cover on it. There was an "operator" that moved the boat across the canal by pulling on a rope. You climbed off on the other side, and, IIRC, there was a small building that was the "canteen". I don't know what they served, but I do remember getting a soda there. That was in 1957.

    Regards, Bill