(erielack) Hoboken Eateries

Hi List:

    I've been meaning to write about the many places in Hoboken that the railroaders and public could go to eat. Today is the perfect day, as its raining outside, and the basement is flooding. I'm going to divide the post into three separate posts: Off Property eateries, On Property Eateries accessible to railroaders and public, and On Property eateries accessible only to railroaders.

    A bit of history, if you please: My family operated a candy stand in Hoboken Terminal from 1937 until 1963. In 1963, we added coffee, hot dogs, cigarettes, etc. We closed it in 1985. I started working there, on and off from 1957 until it closed. I remember at lot of people, trains, locations, as you will see. Sadly, most of it is gone.

    Disclaimer: If your memory is better than mine, you tell the story.

    I guess the best place to start is Off Property. In 1957, as you walked out of the Terminal through the passway by Track one, you would find yourself in the Public Service bus station. All of the busses would come down the driveway, discharge at the Terminal, turn around, and go back up under the shed for their return trip. All except one. That was the 62. It ran from the Terminal to the PABT. Any of you oldsters remember the 21 and 22? The 21 ran from Palisades Amusement Park to Hoboken Terminal, and the 22 ran from Palisades to 14th Street.

    So, as you looked North, you would see a low brick building. It was where that five story office building is now. On the East end, there was Duke's House, a bar. That took up most of the building. Right next to that, there was a package store, owned by Duke's. There was a passage from the package store to the rear of the bar. I never saw any railroaders go in, as I'm sure they were fanatical about complying with Rule G.

    The last location in this building was the Ideal Cafeteria. It was owned by the Noble family. After it closed, the son, Joe, worked for us at the candy stand. The Ideal was a true cafeteria, in that there was a station at the front where you picked up your tray and utensils, and walked down the line for your food. It seemed that the "line" stretched from the front to the rear. IIRC, the cash was in the middle, and the line started from either end. In the rear, behind the line, was the kitchen. All day long, the cooks brought out food in serving trays, and as you walked down the line, you picked out your breakfast, lunch, or dinner, depending on the time of day. The food was good, and relatively cheap. Don't forget, in 1957, along with the hundreds of railroaders and postal workers that worked in Hoboken, there was also the American Export piers up the street. Once in a while, we'd see someone in a suit eating in the Ideal. It was obvious he didn't know the territory.

    Next up the street was a parking lot, a bank, a camera shop and then Schafer's. Schafer's was a full service eatery. It had take out, counter, and table service. We only ate there on payday, So did a lot of other people. As it was unusual to see a suit in the Ideal, it was unusual to see a railroader in Schafer's, unless that person was a boss.

    A few doors up from Schafer's was the Mercury Restaurant. I never saw anybody in there, which is why it was closed by the sixties.

    There were places to eat beyond Hudson Place, but I never went that far, as there was no need to.

    On the South side of the street, up near the Path entrance, there was an old trolley car. It was green with red trim. I don't know if it was on its trucks or up on cribbing as there was skirting under the carbody. There was a center door, but the entrance was through a door on one end. IIRC, this was a coffee shop or very small diner. It is possible it was the office for the parking lot. It was gone by the sixties or sooner.

    Enjoy, Bill