Re: (erielack) Freight Loading Platform

I recall back around 1971 in Toronto, a boxcar sitting on a team track with the door open and bagged cement inside. No platform though, the customers (and thieves I suppose, I don't recall the location being secure)  would just unload directly into a truck backed up to the door. This "stop-off" car business is interesting. John Kneiling analyzed the consist of Southern's Washington-New Orleans hotshot #153 for the January 1972 Trains. Several boxcars and at least one TOFC flat were stop-off cars. Of course, being John he pointed out how this practice degraded car utilization.

Paul B

From: Robert Stafford <erielack1_@_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: (erielack) Freight Loading Platform

Until the late 1960's it was common practice for several local farmers to get a box car of bagged fertilizer, bagged animal or poultry feed, or even hay. Each farmer came to the team track loading dock and unloaded that part of shipment that was there's. Also another common method of creating a carload was to ship the car as a stop off car. The box car would have products for farmers in several towns. The waybill would have a 1st stop off location. The car was spotted, the contents for the consignee at that town unloaded. The door was closed and sealed and the car released. The car was then moved to a second stop off point for part unloading and then finally moved to its final destination for the rest of the car to be unloaded.
  Bob Stafford