(erielack) Walthers Bethlehem Flush-Deck Cars: TTX vs. WTTX

>Jeff and all,
>
>The big difference between the TTX and WTTX cars is, other than the hitch
>spacing, the TTX car has a white deck, and WTTX has light gray - is that
>important?  The "modernized" WTTX car also is missing the "circus"
>
>I was planning on moving the 45' hitch to a 40' location for my EL layout,
>and not worry to much about the circus loading ramps (though I suppose I
>could add those from the Accurail 89' kits). I assume WTTX cars never had
>40'/40' spacing? So I'd have to reletter the reporting marks? Did Twin-45
>cars appear in EL years?
>
>         - Paul

Paul and all:

The WTTX reporting mark is a post-EL era configuration designed to
facilitate use of 45' vans.  Removal of the ramps would be indicative
of an era after circus style loading was abandoned.  To the best of
my knowledge, pig flats in the EL era had ramps.

Per D. Scot Chatfield:  "Conversion of pig flats (TTX-mark) to WTTX
started in late 1983, if memory serves."  This is consistent with the
time of widespread adoption of the 45' trailer.

We've been having an extensive and robust discussion of 89' flats and
vans on the Modelintermodal list, hosted by Yahoo.  I encourage any
of you interested in intermodal modeling to join the list and search
the archives.

I have several Wathers's undecorated flats on order for repainting
into Trailer Train's earlier freight car brown scheme, with TTX
reporting marks.  As I recall, a third of more of TT flats in the
early 70's were in TT brown.

Atlas will be releasing this summer a similar 89' flush deck
flat.  Differences will be that the Atlas will be an ACF prototype,
with container pedestals.  I have several of these on order in
undecorated, for painting in TT yellow, with TTAX reporting
marks.  TTAX designates an "all purpose" flat, that is, it can handle
trailer or container.  The Walther's flush deck design does not have
container pedestals or tracks for same, so they can only bear TTX
reporting marks for our era.

Best regards,
Tim Costello