Re: (erielack) Re: Antique Rail-Car BIDET on EBAY

I doubt that the bidet (pronounced "bee'-day") appeared in any North American passenger cars, with the possible exception of some private or business cars. I worked on passenger trains for CN in the 70's, including as a sleeping car porter into Montreal, and never saw a bidet. Bathrooms in passenger cars are too cramped to accomodate non-essential plumbing. They didn't have showers either; this was a sorely-missed amenity, especially on the transcontinental train. I know the Central provided showers on the Century, and perhaps AT&SF did on the Super Chief.

As Jeff says, the bidet permits washing of the perineal area without having to take a shower. It''s a practical and civilized device, very common in Europe and I wish it was common here too.

Paul B

I find it somewhat dubious that the  DL&W would provide such a convenience on
its passenger trains, since  bidets were primarily a European convenience,
and were and are considered  something of a luxury on this side of the Atlantic.
 I mean that only the  very wealthy would be inclined to desire such a thing,
and that even most  first-class passenger would consider such a thing
frivolous or  "high-faluting".

Can anyone on this list provide a more definitive  answer to the question?
Would the DL&W (or any other contemporary US  railroad) have provided the use
of a bidet for its passengers?

Jeff  Larson
ELHS #2683